Parish Magazines

front cover of a parish magazine

We are lucky to have 100 years worth of Parish Magazines as a valuable resource for village history.   The monthly Titchmarsh Parish Magazine was first printed in 1861 (when Queen Victoria was on the throne!), the final edition being printed in 1961.

Each issue included details of the births, deaths and marriages in the village alongside important dates and holidays. There would also be some kind of story or editorial marking recent events. In October 1866, for example, the magazine reported on the 5th annual Harvest Festival. That year the lesson was read by Revd S.C. Haines – Chaplain to the Lunatic Assylum in Northampton!

Fast forward some fifty years and in June/ July 1920 we find mention of the Church organ, “an unusually fine instrument, the like of which is seldom found in a village church“, being in need of “a thorough overhaul and tuning“, details of the Village Fete which was to feature Thrapston Town Band and “a great many competitions“, and a piece on Northampton General Hospital concerning its dire financial position; “The problem of Hospital Management has become acute owing to the greatly increased cost of evrything associated with its administration“. Nothing new then!

The parish magazines are viewable via the village website. Simply click on the link below and scroll down the page to access the magazines.

Click here to access the Parish Magazines from Titchmarsh Village Website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *