We were delighted to meet with Nigel Howe, who was born in the village and lived here as a youngster but now lives in Islip. He told us of his interest in metal detecting and of the numerous finds he has had over the years.
He very kindly gave Titchmarsh History Association the two buttons pictured above, that he found whilst metal detecting in the fields around the village. The first one is embossed MARRIOTT, TITCHMARSH and the other KING, TITCHMARSH.
We believe that these buttons came from Drapers & Tailors who lived in the village in the mid 1800s. According to the 1881 census John Marriott lived in Back Street, he was a Master Draper and Tailor, employing 9 men and an apprentice. The same census records George King, a Master Tailor, living in Front Street; providing the evidence of their activities in the village.