As a result of damage to the stone wall at the Horseshoes B & B, the magnificent stone pier cap had to be removed revealing a name and date on the underside!
Jim and Sandra Wells have now reset this magnificent stone back in its place on the top of the wall.
What a finding though, what is the name of this mysterious stonemason – is it Allen, Atten, Anen? Was he a villager? No doubt he was the stonemason who worked this stone, (which came from the quarry in Ketton near Stamford), maybe he was an employee of Lord Lilford, who owned most of the village in 1876.